EPLAW was formed in 2001 as a non-profit making Association of experienced patent lawyers in the European community with the aim of promoting the equitable and efficacious handling of patent disputes across Europe.
• Members are lawyers admitted to a bar or similar law society in a country in the European Economic Area (and also including Switzerland) and must have substantial experience in the conduct of patent litigation cases to trial.
• EPLAW was established with the aim of working towards a harmonised European patent litigation system.
• EPLAW has actively assisted in the development of proposals for a new pan-European patent court system, and members have been involved in preparing the draft Rules of Procedure for the Unified Patents Court (UPC).
• Since 2005, EPLAW has been working with the EPO (European Patent Office) Academy to organise the annual Venice Patent Judges’ Forum.
• EPLAW assists with training European judges and promoting a harmonised approach to the interpretation of European patent law in national patent courts and in the UPC. EPLAW holds an annual congress in Brussels, operates Young EPLAW for patent lawyers working in the offices of EPLAW members and maintains the EPLAW blog providing free access to patent judgments and patent information from across European jurisdictions.